Home – Land Rover News and Updates: Land Rover vs Range Rover: What’s the Difference?
October 14, 2020
Land Rover is known worldwide for its outstanding four-wheel-drive vehicles, but what’s the difference between Land Rover and Range Rover? The key difference between the two is that Land Rover is the make, whilst Range Rover is a specific model of Land Rover. In short, Range Rover is a sub-brand within Land Rover.
Let’s explore some further differences between Land Rover and Range Rover.
Land Rover was first debuted in the late 1940s and revealed to the world at the Amsterdam Motor Show on 30th April 1948. After the Series I Land Rover was introduced, the company quickly became popular in the off-road market.
Many years later, the first Range Rover model was launched in 1970. It was at this point that Land Rover started to move upmarket with a more luxurious model that still captured Land Rover’s off-road capabilities.
Since the Series I Land Rover was revealed, the company have extended their range and produced a number of Land Rover and Range Rover models.
Land Rover vs Range Rover
Range Rover models
Range Rover SUVs pair off-road capability with high-end luxury.
Range Rover consists of four models:
- Range Rover – the ultimate, original model of Range Rover.
- Range Rover Evoque – the most compact Range Rover that really makes a statement with its luxurious design and off-road capabilities.
- Range Rover Sport – the most dynamic, sport version of the Range Rover designed for on-road performance.
- Range Rover Velar – the modern and compact version of the Range Rover, described by Land Rover as its most avant-garde model.
Land Rover models
As well as the four models of Land Rover that fall under the Range Rover family, there are a further three Land Rover models. These are:
- Land Rover Discovery – the most versatile, full-size SUV designed for both on- and off-road capabilities.
- Land Rover Discovery Sport – the more compact version of the versatile Discovery, designed for adventure.
- Land Rover Defender – the strongest Land Rover designed to tackle a wide range of off-road terrains.
The hybrid range
As well the standard Land Rover and Range Rover models, Land Rover also have a range of plug-in hybrid vehicles.
For a more efficient drive, the following vehicles are available as a plug-in hybrid:
- Land Rover Discovery Sport
- Land Rover Defender
- Range Rover
- Range Rover Evoque
- Range Rover Sport
- Range Rover Velar
As outlined above, Land Rover manufactures a range of different Land Rover and Range Rover models that vary in sizes. However, Range Rover models generally tend to be smaller than their Land Rover counterparts.
Specialist Land Rover garage
Broadfields Garage is an independent specialist Land Rover garage covering Essex and Hertfordshire. We have over 12 years’ experience in providing a range of Land Rover services and maintaining these vehicles.
Please contact us today for more information.